[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Ysabeau ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 10:21:58 PDT 2010

It seems that could be a good solution if your goal is to put on a show for
other people.

For me, I go to events to camp with my friends and have fun. I love the
history and I strive to do the things we should - cover the coolers, hide
mundanities, etc. I have a periodish tent (I've actually found period
illustrations of my tent so I feel better about it now) but it isn't a
traditional SCA style pavilion. However, I still want to camp with my
friends, regardless of whether they have mundane tents or period tents. I
CHOOSE to have a canvas period tent but I totally understand their reasons
for not having one...and I would rather camp with them than not. Yes, I can
choose to take my period tent and camp with the mundanes, which is what I
would do if forced to make a choice, but it seems to me that it starts to
create a division where there doesn't necessarily need to be one.

The concept of period tents here and mundane tents over there seems to have
started surfacing in the past 5 years. Previously, I don't rememer it being
such a big deal. I actually remember when period tents were way in the
minority and it was a very big deal to have one. They were (and are)
expensive, require special vehicles (trucks/trailers) to haul them, require
more maintenance, and putting them up and taking them down is more time
consuming than the average mundane tent. 15-20 years ago, how many period
pavilions did you see at the average event? Did it ruin our good time? Did
anyone quit playing because the mundane tents ruined the ambience for them?

In a way, and yes this is extreme - putting the mundane tents over there is
almost like relegating them to the ghetto because they aren't good enough to
be with the rest of us. Typically, newcomers are the ones who haven't
invested in a period tent and what kind of message would we be sending them?

That is just me though and I know I'm probably in the minority. So, as a
contribution, I will give you the link for my tent. I love it. It meets my
needs perfectly because I can camp comfortably in it for over a week and it
is still fast and easy enough to set up for a weekend event:
http://soulpad.com/sanctuary/ You may have noticed several of them near the
area of Sir John's vigil at War of Ages. It fits into a duffle bag so I
don't need to have a truck to carry poles or tie them to the top of my
van...and it is only one pole that breaks down. And, after seeing this, it
is close enough to period for me:
http://www.tentorium.pl/zdjecia/ikonografia/9/04.jpg

Ysabeau of Prague
(who will be painting my tent over the coming weeks to make it easier to
find in the sea of soulpads)