[Ansteorra] Questions about pinking

Chiara Francesca chiara.francesca at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 00:53:48 PDT 2010

Good Stefan,

The reference to pinking is a cut on the edges of a fabric seam. It is a finishing touch that keeps fabrics that tend to ravel from ... raveling. :)

If you have a high end suit in your collection of garments look at the inside of it where the lining and interlinings are, you will find that most (if they are made of wool especially) have this finishing touch. They also have a label that says Dry Clean Only.

Here are much better details that I could possibly go into, http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2010/06/pinking-finished-seams.html

Good William,

When I did use pinking shears I would run a basting stitch on the one layer of fabric and then pink just past it. It was a double protection from the raveling. Do this before prewashing.

The only leathers that I would use this on would be the fake types, they ravel. I only use them when someone has handed me the material to make something for them.

♫
Chiara Francesca
(said in my best southern drawl) You want a silver lining to that sad cloud, come sit by me. :)