[Ansteorra] Latin Help?

Mike Andrews mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Nov 10 03:39:04 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 08:02:58PM -0600, HerrDetlef wrote:
> Good evening, fellow Ansteorrans!
>
> I was wondering if anybody could help me with my Latin.  I'm trying to say
> "Detlef von Marburg gives this flag to the Kingdom of Ansteorra."
>
> What I have is "Detlef von Marburg hoc vexillum ad Regnum Ansteorram dat."
>
> This is something I want to put on a couple Ansteorran civil ensigns I made
> for the Crown.

Try "Detlef von Marburg hoc vexillum Regno Ansteorrae dat" if you want
to emphasize that you're doing the giving, "Regno Ansteorrae hoc
vexillum Detlef von Marburg dat" if you want to emphasize that it's the
flag that was given. The important parts are the case endings: "Regno
Ansteorrae" is "to the Kingdom of Ansteorra", "hoc vexillum" is "this
flag" in the objective case".

Nice sentiment, and really good idea.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO