[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 7 16:03:11 PST 2012

On Feb 7, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Alma Danks wrote:

> I have seen parents do this at some events. But I have also seen
> parents bring babysitters with them. Or leave thier children at home
> when they were going to be too busy at the event to care for thier
> children. I have had parents ask for me to watch thier children.

The key point here is that the parents ASKED you to watch their
children. They didn't just drop them off on you or let them wander
about freely.

>  I'm so sorry that your SCA experience was ruined. But I am sure
> that a word dropped into the right ear, would take care of this
> matter for you. In our barony, children must not be out of the
> parents sight, unless a willing adult is taking care of them.

It is already in the Ansteorra rules that children under a specific
age, are to always be within eyesight of a parent. Those children are
seldom the problems. It is the ones running around without any kind of
supervision.

Eve specifically highlighted:

>  And when I say "some stranger" I don't mean someone
> I never met before dumped their kid with us, I mean I NEVER saw who
> this child's parent was. I assume they were still in the hall, but
> they might not have been for all I know.

It has been suggested that all children should wear nametags which
allow them to be re-united with their parents when they escape into
the wild.

child-tags-msg     (6K) 10/10/08  Identity tags for children at SCA
events.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-tags-msg.html

I just read on the Atlantia list yesterday, and unfortunately I've
deleted that digest so I can't quote it verbatim, but it has been a
requirement in that kingdom for some time that all children must wear
a tag, giving their parents name and other info that would allow them
to be tracked down in case of medical emergency or their child is
causing problems.

I think that a similar law should be put into the Ansteorra kingdom
laws, and more important, be enforced.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com