[Ansteorra] The original complaint filed.

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 01:58:55 PST 2012

"Hopefully the other points decrease the importance of this point by
itself. Again, this is the original complaint and not the findings of
the court itself. I also note this simply calls out "member" and not SCA officer or "Head of the Page School". So this might be read to imply
anyone having contact with children needs a background check. I would
hope not."

I don't think that this paragraph is nearly as important as the multiple other times when they cite the best practices that other organizations follow, that we did not follow, despite ample evidence that abuse of this nature was a problem. (What, did anyone really think that this was the only time it happened?) Also, it's not as important as the paragraph that implies that other officers suspected or knew about the abuse and did nothing. (I wish Pennsylvania were a mandatory-reporter state.)

"Someone had asked how long had this happened before the pervert was
caught and punished, and when was the suit finally filed. It appears
that the suit was not filed until at least four years after the events
happened and three years after the pervert was convicted."

Four points:

1. Schragger wasn't sentenced until 2005, so the case wasn't yet complete.
2. I believe that this is the second suit, not the first one. I think the first suit was filed the previous year, in 2006.
3. Even if they had waited three years, that seems like a reasonable amount of time to wait for the SCA to take action of their own accord.
4. In regards to the amount of time that had passed, I don't understand why that's relevant. There are a myriad of reasons that they might have waited to file, from the emotional state of any one of the many victims, to a show of patience on their end. Or two years is how long it took for them to realize that the SCA needed a financial cattle prod to get moving.

-R the O

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile. ~Hippocrates