[Ansteorra] Children in the SCA

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 17:37:58 PST 2012

I assure you that none of those things are true. I was not quick to come to my opinion. I did not 'unhesitate' before forming my opinion. (Unlike some, I have never been content to let the BoD work without scrutiny, so I've been following this case for years.) More importantly, I am not 'thoroughly' blaming the SCA for anything. The suit in question has twenty-someodd points, some of which I agree with and some that I do not. And, as I have previously stated, the only person that can be blamed for rape is a rapist. (I've also made other statements that refute your assessment of my opinion, which you have apparently not read. But I digress.)

My contention is actually similar to yours, in regards to our legal counsel. Over the years, the BoD revoked many, many memberships for convictions of predatory crimes against children, while choosing not to act against a clear problem. At the same time, other organizations were being sued, loudly and with much media fanfare, for similar inaction, and developed best practices for children's activities. Either our own Board and legal counsel were too stupid to connect those dots, or we were negligent. I very much doubt the former (They are very smart folks.), so my opinion is the latter. Does that mean that I think it's all totally our fault? Nope, not even close.

I agree that modern society has an extreme attitude towards fault, which I don't subscribe to... but I also don't think much of someone who owns a road where crossing pedestrians are consistently hit by trucks without ever bothering to putting up a sign or a fence. Sure, you can blame the pedestrian, who looked both ways, or the driver, who didn't, but to pretend that the owner of the road carries no culpability for a repeatedly demonstrated problem on their road is silly and short-sighted.

I hope that clears up your misconceptions of my opinion.

Rose the Obnoxious

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile. ~Hippocrates