[Ansteorra] Same Sex Consorts‏/ change?

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 15:03:13 PDT 2012

At 03:33 AM 7/21/2012, you wrote:

>greetings but weren't these same arguments used when females 1st
>wanted to become fighters / knights / queen by right of arms ?? I
>remember hearing that there was a lot of controversy over that as
>well. did that mundane issue require a lawsuit being filed before it
>was accepted ?? were there a lot of hard feelings involved ?? or did
>I hear incorrectly , and the society and the chiv thought it was a
>great idea , late in arriving , and demand that it be allowed immediately ??

Allowing women fighters started shortly before I joined in AS 10.
I've read stories of the first time women were allowed to fight at
Pennsic; IIRC, male fighters who thought it was unchivalrous  to
strike a woman wore yellow sashes so the ladies would know not to try
to fight them. I also remember Mistress Janet of House Morningstar,
who was a fighter, and a major advocate for other women fighters in
the part of Atenveldt that eventually became Ansteora.

There was definitely a lot of pushback from some people who--as I
said--thought it was unchivalrous to hit a woman, or who followed the
popular belief  that there weren't any women who fought in history.
Other people were more open-minded on the subject. I don't *think* a
lawsuit was required, just a lot of persuasion, plus research
demonstrating that women *did* sometimes fight in our time period.
(Gee, kind of like the curent question. <G>)

         -Tivar Moondragon
         fossil-in-residence