[Ansteorra] ideas was Presentation at Round Table

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Tue Jan 29 19:08:35 PST 2013

greetings

the moment that will live in my memory as long as I have one , is standing
on " ansteorra hill " at a pensic many years ago, with a heavy  fog below,
as the sun rose higher and the fog began to thin ,I saw two large armies
faced each other , and as it cleared enough for them to see each other, they
charged , clashing into each other with a resounding crash, and peaceful
foggy quiet , became instant insanity , it became impossible to tell who was
on what side. and this being my first war, I stood there going
" go our side !! " not having a clue who among that angry surging mob might
possibly be " our side " : )
there are other memories, but none as " real " as that moment...
so yes I have to agree, if your not looking for those moments, they will
quietly pass you by , never to be seen again : (
to quote an old adage, it does no good to be standing at the train depot,
when your ship comes in... in other words , it's hard to find the magical
middle ages moments, if your updating you facebook status : (

I also think you have a good point, it can be hard to see trees , if your
standing in the parking lot watching the forest.
only by getting involved , working, becoming an active part of the society ,
the event, the group, do you get the chance to see and interact with the
individual " trees "  ...

too many times , we want everyone to see and hear and know , what we are
seeing / doing  / experiencing, and in this modern world , we have the
technology to do just that  , streaming video of crown tourneys, instant
pics of the new landeds, even helmet cams , for 1st person views during
crown ,or the newest aoa holder , instant messages on going about what's
happening at the events, etc.....
but just for a moment , can we stop and think " it can wait " do we really
need to add all the modern elements ?
why bother going to an event if we know we can see and hear every detail on
Skype, facebook, etc. and not have to wait till Sunday night or Monday some
time to find out what went on ?? see the fancy court garb, see everyone
getting awards , etc. ??
is it worth killing the sca slowly ? just to " stay connected " during the
event ??
if your going to see it on your monitor, or your phone , what is the
difference between that and watching a video game or a movie ? how do you
expect to see damsels in distress ? knights in shining armor? untold acts of
valor / skill / chivalry / honor / etc., if your not interested enough to go
there in person and see for your self ???

anyway , sorry I'm so direct , I don't intend to insult or defame anyone or
their vision of the dream, this is just my opinion .

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur