ARCH - everything!

arthur starkey artairmacmora at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 19:05:25 PDT 2000

Let me address “Bowman” first.  This was a rank in some of the western European armies as were yeomen, etc.  After a while it came to be used as a general term for anyone who used a bow.  Archery, although around in the English language, was not used very much.  A “Bowman” was a desired position in an army because the person raising the army usually provided bows, arrows, shields, and another person to hold the shield in combat, the arrows, and any other pieces of equipment the “Bowman” needed.

Now for the teaching.  As I understand the present situation, there are two archery guilds being formed in Ansteorra.  One is for archery craftsman with one of its goals being teaching how the archery equipment is made properly for it’s intended use.  The guild for all archers will probably teach the proper ways of shooting weather it be for target or combat.  These two guilds should develop into the teaching core for the kingdom but it does not exclude others from teaching.

Ranks within the guilds were and still are a way of recognizing the skill level of a person and in my way of thinking, should be an internal matter.  Ranking outside a guild would be a matter of a decision of the populace at large or any other manner Baron, King, BOD.  The only thing to be avoided is confusing duplication.

Of course, in all matters the goals of the SCA should be observed.

These views are my personal way of viewing the SCA picture.

Artair Macmora