[Ansteorra-archery] Some Gulf War XIII Combat Archery Stats

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Jul 30 09:53:49 PDT 2004

jim hodek <j_hodek at yahoo.com> said:

> --0-1882640686-1091205475=:59648
>
> How do the marshalls know if any Joe Schmo who is an authorized
> fighter, but not authorized combat archer isn't out there shooting
> his crossbow or bow with no idea what the rules are. This seems to
> present a safety concern for the fighters and spectators.

How do you know that Joe Schmo isn't using a fiberglass spear
without being authorized?

How do you know that Joe isn't using unpadded glaive without being
authorized?

How do you know that Joe isn't using a seige engine without being
authorized?

How do you know that Joe isn't using a sword and board without being
authorized?

The answer is, if you are just looking out across the field, you
dont know.  If a marshal sees someone acting unsafe or doing
something wrong then they need to approach them and take them aside
for a chat and look at their card and take whatever actions are
appropriate.  Beyond that we just have to trust that people are only
going to use the weapons that they are authorized to use.

People may switch weapons numerous times in a melee, we can't police
that and run up to them every time someone switches weapons and ask
to see their card.  There is no way to practically mark all of the
various weapons and weapons combinations and fighters allwoed to use
them so that they could be monitored on the field.  If there was it
would take a massive amount of time.

I guess if we had to be SURE then the answer would be that you are
absoluely NOT allowed to pass inspection and get on on the field
unlessy ou are authorized for EVERYTHING.  That way we would know
that you are authorized for any weapon you might pick up.

Regards,

--
Arcus Eadric Anstapa
Ansteorra