[Ansteorra-archery] Congratulations, it's a bow

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Mar 21 14:39:48 PST 2005

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com said:

> While I agree we need to have an AoB, I'd rather do my bowmaking
thing as a
> separate deal, so I can devote adequate time to hands on
instruction. I want
> folks to walk away with a firm grasp of the basic skills they'll
need to get
> started in bow making. If I accomplish that objective, they'll be
able to return
> to their respective shires/baronies, and teach others what they've
learned.
> There's simply not that much I can accomplish in a one hour AoB
class, other
> than a brief lecture/demo. That's got to be dissapointing to
somebody who really
> wants to learn how to make a bow.

AoB classes do nto have to be one hour lectures.  They could be an
an all-day or even two-day course track.  Often at collegiums
classes particularly hands-on practical classes take up as much time
as is needed.  One thing we have to often done wrong at AoBs in the
past is try to cram too many things into one hour classes.  Most
things actually need two hours.  Many need more, some much more.

> Concerning AoB, if no one else is willing to step up to the plate,
we very
> well may revisit that issue. I've thus far maintained a courteous
silence on the
> subject, to give others an "opportunity to excel" ;-)

Well I know people have batted the idea around a bit and we dont
gotta have an AoB every year.  However, when there are people with a
strong interest in teaching something sca related, and others with a
strong interest in learning the same, it just makes sense to make it
into an real SCA event.  If it's a real SCA event you get insurance
coverage and if you decide and have time to shoot then ya can submit
then scores.

Private practices and events are wonderful but they aren't SCA
events and when we can we should do what we can to support our
branches and kingdoms within the SCA framework.

Regards,

-EA