[Ansteorra-archery] An Offer

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 10:56:27 PDT 2005

Excellant - i will go and get it :) thank you for the explanation :)

Ulrich

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Ulrich,
Alas, there's a bit more to it than just simple dimensions, not every piece
of red oak has the "character" to become a good bow. That's why most red oak
bows sold on the market are backed with linen as a safety precaution. It's
about product liability and keeping customers happy by not having bows blow up in
their hands. However, if you know what to look for in a suitable piece of
wood, you can make a strong, durable, self bow, with no backing at all. Gilli has
been shooting one of my unbacked oak longbows for more than two and a half
years with no problems. In our recent challenge shoot, I shot three full IKAC
rounds with an unbacked hickory bow pulling sixty pounds (not for the faint of
heart). That's a rough total of 300 shots in a single day, and that bow's still
fresh as a daisy.
The best advice I can give anybody, is to get in your car, drive to your
local bookstore, and pick up Volume Two of "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible".
With nothing more than that single reference, you should be able to figure out
how to make a bow. I did ;-)

Cheers,
Robert

p.s.: While at the book store, check out "Bows and Arrows of the Native
Americans" by Jim Hamm, then mosey on over to the magazine rack and pick up the
latest issue of "Primitive Archer" magazine. And, if you're at Barnes and Noble,
by all means pop into the coffee shop for a cup of Tazo Chai ;-)

http://mail.yahoo.com