[Ansteorra-archery] Drachenwald Archery

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 04:16:16 PDT 2006

The Shire of Ad Flumen Caerulum in Austria, recently held an event called
Hunting Season that had some interesting targets and other archery
accoutrements. You can find photos by going to the following site and then
clicking on photos, 2006, and Hunting Season.

http://sca-austria.org/index-en.html

This group is also hosting the Kingdom's Fall Crown Tourney and has some
photos of the site (a real castle). One of their planned activities for the
weekend is a special tour of the Graz Armory.

"The armoury in Graz is a museum of late period arms and armour – founded as
a defensive measure against Turkish incursions. It is still housed in its
original building and its extensive collection is presented very much in the
original style – stacked on warehouse style wooden shelves … Graz is the
only “period” armoury in the world still capable of completely outfitting
several thousand fighters. It is interesting to note that the majority of
the stored weapons and armour would be the normal “munition grade” equipment
issued to regular soldiers – but there are also some very nice examples of
officers gear as well as artillery and many of the tools associated with a
large armoury.

We have managed to arrange a special guided tour through this armoury  like
we did for Kingdom University 2004. You will be allowed to take pieces from
the shelves, handle them personally and inspect them closely. We also plan
to visit the armoury restoration workshop, where you will have opportunity
to ask even more questions."

To find more about this, click on the abovementioned site, then on Crown
Tournament, and then Supporting Programme.

Lyneya de Grey