[Ansteorra-archery] Definition of Royal Huntsman

Doug Copley doug.copley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 07:17:46 PST 2009

lol, yes the Crown ALWAYS has the last word and can change things as
they see fit, which can be a good thing.

Tradition is great and we should keep as much tradition as possible. My
reference was intended to be more towards someone saying that something
should or should not be included in the tourney simply based on tradition.

My apologies for using "we" so many times. I talk to a number of people
and learn what they think also, so I sometimes have a BAD habit of
saying "we" when I should still say "I". Sorry:-( What was meant by the
last statement is that we have a GREAT (IMHO) group of people that are
interested in archery and it seems that archery has grown quite a bit in
the last couple of years (at least here in the north). Rather than just
continuing what myself and others have been doing and hoping that it
continues to grow and mature in to an even stronger community, I was
looking for ideas of where should WE as a group be trying to get to. I
can go out and shoot archery everyday by myself but that does little to
nothing to help the community.

This is the first time that I have heard anyone say that it is tradition
that the shoot plan is NOT disclosed prior to the shoot. Interesting
concept! Even when I disclose a shoot plan I do not disclose everything
that will be done and the exact point scoring for each round, it is
really more of an advertising thing to get people interested in joining
in or coming to watch. But to have it as NO disclosure is different. In
that case, I would think that it would be good to announce that as the
Royal Huntsman Tourney is supposed to be a challenge for the top archers
the shoot details will NOT be disclosed prior to the shoot and that
archers MUST be prepared to compete in TA, CA, crossbow, longbow,
whatever. Many times it appears to me (and to others) that the reason it
is not disclosed is that the shoot has not been designed and is not
known and some of it will be made up on site based on who or what is
there and undefined whims at the moment. If it is posted that the shoot
has been designed and planned and what the shoot times are but that
further details will not be announced except that archers must be
prepared I can work with that and I think others can to.

YIS,
Vincenti