[Ansteorra-archery] Crossbow Prods for sale?

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 18 11:42:48 PDT 2011

Not in my case, I can grind to spec as long as it's under 1500 ip.  I've
been doing it for Amtgard and the other LARP folks for years and they've
had a LOT of use.  I had a problem which kept coming up with the way the
trigger was mounted and kept dry-firing in the field (but almost never
while I was testing it).  Net result was that it got dry fired well over
100x.  None the worse for wear though.

FG supports a stronger drawing aspect ratio than aluminum, and much
better than steel.  For example, I'm looking at an SCA-made recurved
7075 aluminum prod here which is 28" wide when strung, a 3" brace height
and the nut's placed about 12" from the prod, so it's about a 9" power
stroke.  The profile I use us 27" wide, a 3" brace height, and the nut
is over 13" from the prod, a 10" power stroke.  That'll basically mean
you can meet your target IP criteria with about 10% less pull right there.

I do prefer to mount with a center hole for a 10-32 thread and locknut.
You'd think this would be a problem for cracking, oddly enough, it's
not.  I do like the cord bindings but I just need to be able to take
things apart easier.  It's much smaller to pack in a car.  Makes
shipping much cheaper, too.

Fiberglass is MUCH lighter in front.  This is really good because
traditional designs had little regard for weight balance, and tend to be
wildly front-heavy IMHO.

Oznog