[Ansteorra-missile] Separating Combat from Static Archery

CinaedOHosey at aol.com CinaedOHosey at aol.com
Wed May 7 10:14:13 PDT 2003

 First off let me thank you for your quick response to this, I unfortunately (or fortunately to some) can only get to a computer about once a week so I am a LOT slower to respond.

 There are still a few things I do not understand so; with your indulgence, I will try to be brief. You say "In fact the position of archery marshal is not a required position for a branch and it is not required that the marshal (if there is one) be both a combat and a target archery marshal (they need to be one or the other)." Why if there are two different types of archery marshals do we give them the same title and job? This seems to me to be adding to the confusion as to who to send people to "To assure that when people are interested they are directed to the right people who can help them." As you put it.

 It would also seem to me that if we had different names for each position then each position would have a chance of being filled, but with one name for both functions, only the most knowledgeable would know that you could have two archery marshals at the same branch, each of which is doing a different job.

This is also very important when you say "It is the job of the branch marshal to assure that when archery activities happen that there are properly authorized marshals present supervising those activities assuming that they are activities officially sponsored by their branch (they have no responsibility for private or independently sponsored practices)."It would be nice (I know I am lazy for not wanting to have to ask) to know by his title if he is qualified to do so or if we need to find some one else who can.

Thankfully you said "Now, having said all of that... If there is a branch with an active Target Archery community and an active Combat Archery community, I have no objections to there being two separate "branch" marshals with one responsible for Target Archery and the other responsible for Combat. However, a request for something like that would need to come from within the branch with the blessing of the branch Seneschal, B&B, and the Regional Marshal. I don't think such an arrangement is necessary since as-is the branch marshal can certainly designate any of the other at-large marshals in his branch as his deputy in charge of Combat Archery or Target Archery. The disadvantage of setting up two separate officers in the branch is that then you have two separate officers that are required to report on a monthly or quarterly basis to the regional marshal and if they don't then that is one more opportunity for the branch to get in trouble for not properly reporting.

Would such an assistant be required to be a CA Authorization Marshal or would an AC Inspection Marshal qualified in Armored Combat Archery be sufficient to run combat archery?

My goal is quite simple I would like to see an active combat archery community in each of our Baronial branches. Because it is not the "job" of the Archery Marshals to make that happen then we need to try to make it happen our selves. We need people who are going to be at the Baronial practices who can run Combat Archery there with the heavy fighters. Knight Marshals or their designates would be the best but any one else willing to get qualified to do it and that will show up should work.

So, who wants to volunteer for each Barony?

Hosey
Commander of the Condottieri