[Ansteorra-missile] Ansteorra's army needs you!

Ironwyrm hlironwyrm at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 22 03:13:46 PDT 2006

Hold that thought Michael, I've contacted several of the
  other missile combat authorizing marshals but no one
  seems to have a copy of September's Blackstar yet.

  We'll try to confirm and see if we can get updated on
  this.

  Ironwyrm

Mike <meggiddo at netzero.net> wrote:
  The main point of my 1st message was to call attention to whether the
event in question - Gothic Wars - had been changed some how from a
War/Melee event into a practice, since no announcement was forth coming
from the Western Region. This brings me to your earlier message
announcing that the event in question would be a practice, which
generated my message. Since the group who is hosting was calling this
event an official SCA War/Melee event, while you were calling it a
practice. Just like the two aspect of SCA combat, tournament or
war/melee, training and authorization are separate with complete and
different means and definitions. Thus, needing to establish a base or
starting point, in at least agreement within the subjects of War/Melee,
practice, training and authorization. This understanding having been
reached, the discussion can continue in regard to who can be on a
War/Melee field versus that of a practice field.

People who are wishing to attend events that have been so designated as
an Official War/Melee events and take the field must be authorized prior
to taking the field.

This was pointed out to me recently by a heavily fighter concerning a
different issue and so reminded me of the nature of authorizations,
although similar in nature which was under discussion at that point in
time. Plus, our Earl Marshal of Ansteorra, Sir Jean Paul also stated the
very same thing in his message contain within the Black Star of
September 2006.

Those people who are not authorized, can not take the field at War/Melee
events, until they are authorized . Which means that they must get
authorized prior to taking part in an Event that has officially be
declared as a War/Melee event and not a practice. While if it is a
practice, which you were calling Gothic Wars, then the unauthorized
individuals can take the field, which is one reason for having a
practice, to see more people come out, share the joy and the excitement
of being in this game that we all enjoy playing while providing the
necessary training which leads to authorization.

A Catch 22 - all around for everyone who wishes to actually see more
people become involved in this game that we all enjoy and play. So what
is the solution? Simple - get more avenues/locations to enable more
people the opportunity to be authorized other than just the three
War/Melee events that are present on the calendar. Meaning become more
pro-active in working with the various groups that are putting on events
throughout the year and not wait until the last 3 months or so at the
end of the year (September, October and first 3 weeks of November) and
the 1st 2 months (January and February) of the next year to start this
training/authorization process, which all leads to Gulf Wars. Start
requesting time and the necessary space needed for "hands-on" training,
so there is not a crunch due to being confined within such a limited
window of opportunity.

It is not picking at nits in this matter nor is it an attempt to sow
discord among anyone - It is simple a matter of recognizing the
limitations that are in place for the enjoyment of all, while ensuring
that equal parts of fun and safety are present. This is why there are
restrictions in who can take the field and who can not, these
limitations are better known as SCA's authorizations. This is all about
being responsible for not only one's fun and safety but that of the
individual standing beside you, plus that individual who is also
standing facing you from the opposing side(s) as well, (i.e., the
various scenarios of a 3 Kings come to mind). There is peace of mind
present, which is assumed that everyone has been authorized and have a
good grasp of the the rules and more importantly how to conduct
themselves on the SCA battlefield. While the odds would say that the
unauthorized individual would not understand and could placed the same
individuals standing beside him/her or facing them in danger from the
sheer lack of knowledge of an SCA battlefield. Afterall, there is vast
gulf between just talking and the actual hands on experience of SCA combat.

It needs to be mention again and as often as possible - This game we all
play is about "FUN" and being "SAFE" while playing.

If just anyone who wishes to to get into some type of armor and take
part in an official SCA War/Melee event without being proper trained and
authorized in their weapon of choice - then there would be chaos in
large letters with injuries and some of them being severed. The
unauthorized individual(s) could indeed be part of this and not even
realized what the issue is until after it has happen.

This game is physical in nature, as such, anyone who wishes to take part
in the SCA combat, be it as a heavy fighter, or rapier, or combat
archery, siege, the marshals who give up their time to ensure that both
fun and safety are on the field in equal parts, this also includes those
good gentles to make the sacrifice of their time by carrying water and
other goodies to all on the field. All of these and others as well,
everyone must be authorized prior to taking the field at a official
War/Melee event.

Yes, as it stands it now - Gothic Wars, 3 Kings and Autumn Melees events
are the only War/Melee events that are on the calendar and possible be
used as authorization/training opportunities that could be extremely
useful if handle properly. Although I am hearing about the Northern
Region and their war practices which I think are generating good
training and possible authorizations. It is misleading to call these
War/Melee events as "Practices", for that is not what they are.

If you and/or the other authorizing marshals wish to conduct a
training/authorization practice at the end of the War/Melee scenarios
and ask for help from among the heavy fighters to assist in this
process, then by all means do so. In fact, you and the rest of the
missile community might be surprise by the positive response to such an
opportunity or you might have already do so. But if you handle the
presentation and actually follow through poorly with little thought
given to the fact that the majority of the gentles who wish to attend a
War/Melee event with all the high persona activity that goes with being
involved with the SCA, only to get to event and the field, to discover
that the War/Melee event has somehow become more of a practice (or
"shanghaied"), then the endeavor is doom.

One of the best examples of conducting a practice after having completed
the War/Melee scenarios occurred at a 3 Kings back in 2004 (I believe, I
think you were there as well), which was His Grace, Sir Patrick Michael
had the both sides form up facing each other and run a number of
scenarios around the fort at that time, although no new authorizations
took place to the best of my knowledge. Yet it is still a good example.

A proper training/authorization opportunity or practice needs to
consists of equal parts of actually "hands on" followed by a debriefing
of not only those good gentles who wish to be authorized in whatever
weapon form of their choice, but more importantly the opportunity of
those who are already authorized and assisting to provided their
observances as well. Since, these gentles are the ones who either
enjoyed an advantage or was placed at a disadvantage during that
scenario. Which all means that this is taking time away from actually
scenarios - thus you could have a 5 minute or 10 minute scenario,
followed with 5 to 10 minutes or more time in discussion on the various
aspects of that scenario from various viewpoints. The weather also needs
to taken into consideration for these training scenarios, just like it
will have to be taken in account for the scenarios at Gothic Wars
event. A practice that everyone who is present and wishes to see
success in the necessary training will have the patience to stand down
during the de-briefing and actually be pro-active in sharing their
knowledge as well.

If on the other hand, there is no discussion between scenarios and just
hurry instructions, if any, before the authorize must get back onto the
field for the next scenario, then you have a disaster waiting either for
that day or next one or in the future, it will happen and then everyone
will scratched their heads, point to the authorizing marshal with all
kinds of questions. Yet the real damage will have been done to the
individual who was rushed with little thought given to proper feedback,
which needs to be undertake in a calm environment without worrying about
time spent away from actual combat and the next scenario(s), which can
occurred only at a practice.

Proper preparations prior to taking the field and effective
communications are the key to ensure that all who will be attending have
a good understand of just when the official event ends and the
training/authorization practice/process will start at an official event.

Separate issue and not related to any of the above:
Apologies? If I am reading the context (i.e., intent - which is always
extremely difficult to do with any email correspondence) of that portion
of your 2nd email correctly, then - The only person who can apology for
my actions, words, deeds, emails, and/or omissions is myself. Anyone
else attempting to do so is just "Spitting into the Wind." And we all
know what's happens there.

Lord Michael Kettering