[Ansteorra-missile] New Question on Authorization for Combat Archers

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Thu Aug 24 09:25:13 PDT 2006

Thank you.

I have gone back re-read your previous emails and found the phrase of
which "and that they know what a killing blow is and how
to react to them. " Since it was a portion of a large paragraph it did
not jump out when I read it the 1st time.

Your third paragraph in which you spelled it out in those very terms
that they do not need to become "proficiency with sword and shield or
anything other than missile weapons." But be able to recognized a good
killing blow and NOT have it done while a melee scenario is going on.

This is what I thought was missing from previous emails on this subject.

Fully agree with getting to realized that they can be hit and should be
as you put it "hit on a few times." I know for a fact that it has been a
sore subject for a number of heavy fighters that the perception, which
always out come out ahead of the real facts, is that a majority of
combat archers were not being introduced to this reality of a SCA
battlefield. And it did not help to have various individuals walked over
and make statements along the lines of:

"I will become a combat archer if I can be guarantee of never being hit."

Ld Michael Kettering