[Ansteorra-missile] New Question on Authorization for Combat Archers

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Aug 24 09:35:48 PDT 2006

Michael,

The scenario you describe below is nothing new.  That has always been a
distinct possibility regardless of if you are a non-contact or
full-contact archer.  White Diamonds or Red Pheons, or any other type of
helm markings don't provide a force field.  Anytime you step on the
field you accept that there is a possibility that you will be struck.
When we had non-contact you should not be struck purposefully, but you
always ran the risk of being struck.  Non-contact participants did
occasionally get struck on the field and it was important they
understand how to handle that.  Battlefield often erupt into a sea of
swinging rattan and people get hit.

Lets face it even if ya don't get hit by rattan as a non-contact archer
you were always the target of missile fire and that means you could get
shot with a ballista bolt that is made of 48 inches of 160 PSI siloflex,
tipped with a tennis ball, with a total bolt weight of 1 pound, and they
could shoot ya from 30 ft away.  Let me tell ya that can leave a mark
and hits every bit as stout as a good spear thrust.

Non-contact participants actually, by-the-book, didn't have less to
their authorization, actually they had MORE that they were required to
show.  The book said that for Non-Contact Authorizations, "T/hese
procedures shall verify that _*in addition to the General Requirements*_
the candidate is familiar with the following:.../".

The General Requirements certainly have always included the Conventions
of Combat and I have always felt the should include Acknowledgment of Blows.

Regards,

HL Eadric Anstapa