[Ansteorra-missile] Clear the bow!

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Dec 13 21:30:07 PST 2007

As Iaen say the crosslinked foam is holding up well.   Thats the whole
point of a crosslinked foam.

Crosslinked means there are extra molecular bonds and it is a tougher
material.  Think of it as a 3D molecular structure versus a 2D foam.

lets say a regular poly would have a molecular structure like this
0-0
then a crosslinked poly it might be like this:
0-0
\ /
 0
Thats a way over simplification of course.

Crosslinked foams are used where durability is needed like with gaskets
and closures.  Lets say have have a big door that opens a closes and
have want a foam gasket to seal things off when the door closes.  You
would use a crosslinked foam because it can handle the abuse of the
compression/decompression.  So far it  is holding up much better than
"standard" closed cell foams for us.

I am sure it compresses some.  I know if a marshal got out his
micrometer that it would be less than 1" but so far it hasn't compressed
enough  that marshals have blinked.

There are several foam and packaging suppliers here in Houston where I
can get the foam.  Just start calling around your town and talking to
folks that are knowledgeable about that business.

Or  you can buy the foam disks from the Company of St. Sebastian for a
dime each when we have em available.

-EA