ARN - Advantages

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Aug 9 14:00:48 PDT 1999

I think that an odd sized blade is an advantage to the wielder, as long as the opponent is
not familiar with facing a blade of those characteristics.   For example, those who routinely
wield a childs foil, or a 40 inch schlager know who to fight with these blades and use them
to the maximal advantage.  If I go out having never faced an offensive weapon with the
advantages of these blades, I will also be unfamiliar, or at least less familiar, with
capitalizing on its disadvantages; one up for them, one down for me.  Whenever someone
suggests using a blade of unusual length in tourney, it's often (though certainly not
exclusively) the case that they are doing so to increase the chance that they will win the
bout.  I tend to dislike this in tourney, as I want to be beaten by an opponent's skill or my
own shortcomings, rather than ignorance of blade behavior.  Facing these differences in
practice would be a blast, however...and once I knew how to handle myself with these
differences it might not prove a problem on the tourney field.

Isobel Hadleigh
Cadet to Kazimir
Afraid to Lurk...he's big.