ARN - Advantages

Marcus Hite mbhite at arn.net
Tue Aug 10 18:27:50 PDT 1999

Brent & Susan Rachel wrote:

> If an opponents weapon is longer than yours, do you consider this to be an **UNFAIR**
> advantage?

I would say no.  If he has longer arms or mountains over you do you have a disadvantage?
Yes, and no....you just have to learn to fight people that are big and small.  In fact, the
fighter with the longer weapon  might even have a disadvantage.  If the fighter is changing
from the longer blade (say del-tin or Schlager) to the shorter one (say  epee) then s/he has
to adjust  his/her reach each time they switch swords, which may make their shots fall short,
or they might hit too hard with the longer blade.  If its the only blade they use, I would
hope they have another back up just like it in their bag........  Of course with practice I'm
sure one can develop the skill required to make the weapon switch over,  but it in a bout if
you forget just once....you might end up laying on the field dead......

> Do you see it as just a **regular old** advantage like a sabre bell?

I like Quilions better,  Although I have seen the saber bell use to do "punch blocks"  which
really moves your blade out of the way, but they are all power and hard to repost from.

> Do you see it as **just another difference** between weapons, each weapon having it's own
> inherent advantages *and* disadvantages?

Yes, That would be the one!   Just like each fighter has their own advantages and
disadvatages...speed, point control, height, ect.......

> Will Sandy find out that her mother is secretly dating Dr. Jorden, the very doctor who
> just gave her husband a vascectomy?

If she does, let's hope that Dr Jorden has hidden all the rapiers or this might turn into a
murder mystery..........what are we talking about, where did this come from *grin*

Can I have a participation bead now?

May we meet on the field as friends,
Marquet de le Heyt
Cadet to Don Donovan