ARN - Cadets in Court

paul kaveshan pkjdw at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:22:30 PDT 1999

Greetings all.
I am Lord James De Warrenne, Cadet to Don Oengus of the Greymist(Outlands).
I have now lived in Ansteorra for many years.

I can agree with what Delphina has said here.  The red scarf I received was
an agreement between me and my Don. (student..teacher)  No other promises
were made.  It means(to me) that someone had noted my skills and believes I
can do better.

When I started in the SCA, all I wanted to do was learn to fence.  But it
quickly became more.  I saw a group in which to be helpful in small ways.  I
was awarded for that service after 3 years with an AoA.
I felt my loyalty to the nobles was returned.

That red scarf means (to me) that we have become examples.  What the
unscarfed would like to be.  Just as the white scarfs are examples of what
we want to be.  Chivalric, Honorable, Courteus (and darn good fencers) :)

I lost sight of that for awhile, blinded by hate.  Now I see that becoming a
white scarf is also the ability to overlook such hatred.  Move the personal
feelings aside.  Serve thier Majesties, and the people as a whole...not just
personal friends. (or whose butt can i kiss today)

I looked at myself and said "You know, I had more fun at this game when I
put others in front of me."  I am now going back to that train of thought.

To Delphina, I hope to meet you on the field of Honor soon.  I would enjoy
to meet someone who openly states to being an example of what others wish to
be.

Sorry if I rambled...been silent much to long.

Yours in service,
Lord James
Shire of Tempio