ARN - Scarf meanings (was Cadets in Court)

Jesus Cavazos toshirokoi at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 22:10:14 PDT 1999

>From: "Robert Kern" <Wolfe at intellisys.net>
>To: <ansteorra-rapier at Ansteorra.ORG>
>Subject: Re: ARN - Scarf meanings (was Cadets in Court)
>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 12:01:02 -0500
>

>What comes here is the root core of respect.  Respect is earned, not given.
>I know this is a cliche, but it's very true.  If you are a good teacher
>give
>it time.  Why sould your students be patient with you, if you aren't
>patient
>with them?  Give them time to trust you.

I do. But when you're showing someone you never met before, and may never
see again, something new, and a scarf tells them you don't know what you're
teaching, how much credability do you think you have?

>How to tell if you are a good teacher: Do you take more pride in your
>abilities, or your students?
>
>When we went to Festival of Japan, one of my students took first place in
>the tourney, and it was his first tourney at that.  He beat me doing so.  I
>was tickled to death about it.

At Day in London, I taught a newbie a trick I learned, and he used it
against me to win our bout. I congratulated him then showed him some more.

>I have never had a scarf, and don't feel the lack of one either.

If you're happy with that, good for you. You should always do what you think
is right and makes you feel good. As long as it doesn't hurt others.

>I love to
>fence and to teach, simply because I love both.  I don't need a scrap of
>cloth to enjoy it.  I just LOVE TO FENCE.

On that we are both in agreement.

>Oh, by the way everyone.  Wish me luck.  They are operating on my knee this
>coming friday.  It will determine whether I ever fence again or not.

May all the luck in the world be with you. And may one day we meet on the
field of honor as friends and equals.

>Very nervous,
>Robert Wolfe
>Rapier Marshall of Falconridge