ARN - Scarf meanings (was Cadets in Court)

Larkin O'Kane [AKA Charlie Cain] larkin at webstar.net
Sun Jun 6 05:21:04 PDT 1999

Greetings Toshiro San,

When I first started learning to fence almost everyone told me that my
posture was wrong and that I should have my feet placed just so and
should step just so and lunge just so....  I tried to do as they said, but it
didn't feel natural to me. Then at Known World Academy of the Rapier
Antoine Dore asked me if I had been studying De Grassi very long and I
said "Who/what is De Grassi?" and was introduced to one period fencing
master's idea of a fencing style. [Or at least one englishman's translation
of an Italian fencing master's  teachings].  One statement that this person
made to me was that if I continued to study and practice this method then I
had best get used to "everybody" telling me I was doing it wrong.

On 5 Jun 99, at 8:56, Jesus Cavazos wrote:

> True. But when you just met someone at some event for the first time and
> you're trying to teach them something, what a scarf says does matter to
> the student. And that's where my experiences have been.
>
> Toshiro

" Thought for the day:
    Hollywood - a place where people from Iowa mistake each other
    for movie stars.                    -- Fred Allen
 "

Larkin O'Kane
larkin at webstar.net