ARN - Cadets in Court

Jason Rivers scuolamil at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:07:40 PDT 1999

Lord Volker,
        You do have a point. But let me make a few points. The inspiring awe
you talk about is false. I hold no one in that regard. You just dont go up
to the first Don or Dona you see and go"Hey I want to be a cadet to you." It
is a matter of estabilishing a respect of a student to a teacher. I would
not choose a Don or Dona on the expectation that I am going to be a white
scarf. I would take a red scarf on the notion that I can learn something
about Society in general. Also you do not devote yourself to one teacher,
but a wealth of knowledge. When I see a Don or Dona I do not see one person
I am devoted to but a group of many. Does the red scarf make anyone a better
fencer, more honorable, noble, courtly? No! But I do believe that given the
right Don or Dona/ cadet combo, depending on how hard the cadet works and
focuses, will determine on how good that cadet can become. To this end some
would say that you do not need a White scarf to accomplish this. I know I
have said this very thing in the past. But now I am faced with an
opportunity to become more than I am now. Not A White scarf but a more
complete person. Not through the scarf but through the people who are
teaching me. It is not all about fencing. It is about grace, both in your
fencing and your attitude.  It is about balance.

    In defense of the Society and brotherhood
    Lord Gillie Cenfadagh Macraurie
    Companion of the Dragonsgrace