ARN - Rapier Peerage

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Tue Mar 2 09:38:42 PST 1999

Greetings, all:

Brent & Susan Rachel (Kazimir Petrovich) wrote:
> Not so, actually.  Rapier is legal in all Kingdoms, save Calontir.  The mundane dueling code
> thing was shot down years ago as patently ridiculous.

Oh! Thank you for bringing be up to date, Don Kazimir. My information was
obviously dated, although I hear it repeated often enough. I'll do my part to
squash this "old news" whenever I hear it repeated in my presence.

However, I believe the gist of my point is still valid: Peerage is a
Society-wide award. A Laurel from Calontir is recognized a Laurel in every other
kingdom. I don't believe any kingdom can unilaterally create a new order of
Peerage. It must be accepted and recognized in every Kingdom, then written into
Corpora. I think that's the process we are seeing with the White Scarf, we just
aren't there yet.

The suggestion about making non-Knight marshal Peers (rapier, archery,
equestrian) by conferring a Master of Arms is interesting. Maybe this would be
worth discussing with some of our Kingdom's more senior Masters of Arms, to see
what their reaction to the idea is? On the one hand, I am inclined to agree that
this avenue seems unlikely; but on the other hand, I see no reason to presume
the cause is lost without at least looking into it. Besides, if this approach
*is* workable, it will only be so with the active support of the current Masters
of Arms.

Yours,
Michael
(Baron Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate)