ARN - Squires and Cadets et al.

joe rummel jerummel2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 10:26:09 PST 2000

I recently read an article that was regarding the daily habits of the Elizabethan middle and upper class, not noblity.  It stated that the vast majority of houses in the middle and upper-middle classes did not contain what we would regard as a kitchen.  The article speculates that is was cheaper to 'eat out' than to cook at home due to the lack of any way to keep food w/o spoiling, while taverns/inns would be able to constantly get fresher food.  At home foods would have been breads and easy to keep veggies (onions, turnips, ect) but meat at home would have been uncommon.
Benedict / Joe

 Amerinda wrote:
I struck me as ironic that we would be asked to spend the day acting the
proper gentle born and then be fed in a tavern.