ARN - Squires and Cadets et al.

Russell Husted husted at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 11:17:10 PST 2000

Actually that is still true in many places. Where I grew up we eat out
atleast 5 times a week and every school day for lunch because it was cheeper
than eating at home, and the school did not provide even a lunch room. Oh
yeah, I grew up in Saudi Arabia and England.
your servant,
mahee
------------------------
I recently read an article that was regarding the daily habits of the
Elizabethan middle and upper class, not noblity.  It stated that the vast
majority of houses in the middle and upper-middle classes did not contain
what we would regard as a kitchen.  The article speculates that is was
cheaper to 'eat out' than to cook at home due to the lack of any way to keep
food w/o spoiling, while taverns/inns would be able to constantly get
fresher food.  At home foods would have been breads and easy to keep veggies
(onions, turnips, ect) but meat at home would have been uncommon.
Benedict / Joe

  Amerinda wrote:
I struck me as ironic that we would be asked to spend the day acting the
proper gentle born and then be fed in a tavern.