ARN - Heavy Rapier Only?

Theron Bretz tbretz at mciworld.com
Thu Feb 24 12:43:31 PST 2000

>It's about community....that's why a woman-only tournament is OK, or a
White
>Scarf only tourney is OK, or even a newcomers tournament is OK!  [ my own
>expansion on Don Dore's comments on different list ] Heavy Rapier is
another
>community....really, it's not blanket snobbery!

Actually, the last time I recall someone mentioning a WSA-only tourney, they
were looked at like they'd just copped to killing the Lindbergh baby.  Which
is too bad because I'd love to have the opportunity to get my butt kicked by
all the people who I used to get to fight regularly when we were cadets.

>It's OK, if as Chandra says, it is clearly announced. It's a game, and we
>don't HAVE to accomodate all the people all the time. Considering that HR
is
>a separate authorization, maybe having a separate HR tournament makes MORE
>sense...not LESS!

A bit of a history lesson.  When HR (then called schlager) was up for
consideration as a weapons form, the people who were pushing it the hardest
were quite militant that it be a separate form with separate tournaments and
a separate marshallate.  What was also implicit in much of their rhetoric
was the notion of separate recognition and awards.  To head this off, the
idea of letting people use schlagers in regular tournaments against likewise
armed and authorized opponents came about.  Personally, I feel this was the
better solution, since I doubt I would have bothered to go to schlager-only
tournaments to see what the fuss was all about, given my <ahem> difficult
relationship with the proponents of the weapon at the time.  By sticking it
in Queen's Champion and any other tourney, I was able to see the benefits of
the HR game and come to the conclusion that it's something I've got to try.

That having been said, I've got nothing against a HR-only tournament, per
se.  My question to Pieter (which started all of this) was from the
viewpoint of someone who wants his event to succeed financially and is
asking as devil's-advocate, "what will there be for me to do?"

Etienne