ARN - Heavy Rapier Only, or can I borrow your car?

Chris Backus cbackus at enid.com
Mon Feb 28 08:35:52 PST 2000

I don't know how it is where you live, but here very few local groups buy a
full loaner gear stock.  Remember, the Kingdom and the Baronies aren't some
institution separate from us, they are us.  So do we need to buy equipment
so everyone can play without investment?  If so, I've been wanting to take
up heavy, will you buy my helmet?

As far as schlager being so greatly more expensive than epee, I think that's
mainly an impression caused by having the epee and needing the schlager.
The epee's already paid for so it seems cheap and the schlager still
represents money needed.  The schlager blade is the only price difference in
the rig, a cool period guard is not required.  A schlager sells for $59.95
right now at Triplette.  The epee I just bought cost $49.95.  Even cheap
ones cost $29.  A gorget is the only piece of new armor required and can be
had for dirt cheap.  Considering I've gone through at least three epees in
the time I've had my schlager, the price has worked out to be much less for
the heavy blade.

Our game can be financially draining.  I agree we should strive to not
exclude people based on money.  However the financial difference here is
roughly forty dollars between epee gear and schlager gear (thirty in the
blade, ten for a gorget).

No offense meant.  I don't think we should go to a bunch of "heavy only"
tournaments, nor do I think anyone wants that.  I just think that this game
is innately expensive and the cost issue with heavy rapier is sometimes
somewhat inflated.

Hawkins