ARN - tip cuts

gptaylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Fri May 5 09:17:05 PDT 2000

Russell Husted wrote:

> First is the understanding of the current rules. I was told that you do not
> call tip cuts unless you both agree ahead of time.

The new rules say:
C.Blows are to be struck by thrusting with the point of the blade (thrust) or
sliding the edge of the blade (draw cut or push cut).  Optionally, upon prior
agreement of all involved fighters, blows may be struck by placing the tip and
then drawing it across an opponent (tip cut).

This rule does not have calling tips as the "default".  My opinion of tip
cuts:   You can call tip cuts any time you want to.  Unless you've agreed to it
beforehand, however, your opponent doesn't have to. If you don't make prior
arrangements, just assume that they won't call them...then be happily surprised
if they do.  I don't usually make tip cuts the focus of my attacks...they are
generally accidental when they happen, and it's not as satisfying to win on
something that was probably just sloppy technique on my part...

Isobel

Isobel