ARN - tips

Russell Husted husted at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 04:17:45 PDT 2000

I am just concerned that what the rules say and what we require are one and
the same thing and that they are safe. Outside that, no complaints on this
end.

mahee

From: "Chris Backus" <cbackus at peakonline.com>
To: <ansteorra-rapier at ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: ARN - tips
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:36:12 -0500

In my work I am required to make it clear to my students what is
"procedure" (a regulation) and what is "technique".  In the SCA I just
teach what works.  The tips are generally taped, but sometimes tool
dipped.  The tape being of a contrasting color helps, because frankly
some people use way too much tape and you can't find a tip under the
mess.  The tip showing is necessary so the marshal can make sure it's
not worn or ready to punch through.

The rules are fairly brief, because a lot of what we do is passed down
from experienced fighters and marshals to the (sometimes only
slightly) less experienced.

Hawkins