ARN - Authorization

Christopher M Morris chrism at etimesolutions.com
Wed Jan 17 13:06:05 PST 2001

Alright, I shall exit Troll mode here, and post for my first time. As I am a
new comer from the Outlands and want to just toss out a couple of things we
try to do.

Start with Basic Questions, just like here. And discuss armor requirements,
then do armor check (get them used to the cup check the way marshalls do it
at a tourney :) )

Before we start with single, we go through a thorough calibration for hits
(and we usaully try this on not just the person doing the authorization but
grab someone else also, help show that 2 people can take hits differently.)

Sounds like the same type of "drills" down here as the Outlands.

We do test secondary weapons seperatly, and if its your first test, you test
only single, and the others wait for another day (though I have seen it done
the same day, my preference was do a tourney or 2 before adding more
weapons, again not a hard rule, just preference from my area in the
Outlands.) Its nice to know they are comfortable in tourney with single
before dagger, case, etc.. It is quite common up there for people to just
authorize single blade, or single and defensive off-hand.

Then finnally when much time has passed we do all weapons which includes
shlager (much longer drills.) Trying to exhaust you and make sure you are
still safe (since they are more dangerous if hit hard with.) Lots of
calibration/range testing here as well (just back and forth repeatedly while
keeping the point on the chest and never impalling your teacher :) )

Myself, when authorizing someone I know, I take twice as long, I give them a
hard time since I expect more out of them, but its really more out of fun
the necessity. Again just as here, it all came down to make sure the person
is safe and comfortable with the weapons they will be playing with. My
personal rules were you go out to have fun, die well, and if you have the
chance, try and kick some butt.

In Service,
Lord Jhone Mc V'llvure (but you can call me Eoin)