ARN - Authorization

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Wed Jan 17 14:49:43 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher M Morris" <chrism at etimesolutions.com>
To: <ansteorra-rapier at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 3:06 PM
Subject: RE: ARN - Authorization

> Alright, I shall exit Troll mode here, and post for my first time.
As I am a
> new comer from the Outlands and want to just toss out a couple of
things we
> try to do.

Welcome to Ansteorra!  Where are you living now?

> Start with Basic Questions, just like here. And discuss armor
requirements,
> then do armor check (get them used to the cup check the way
marshalls do it
> at a tourney :) )

When I am the inspecting marshal, I never do anything for a cup check
other than ask the fighter if they have a cup in.  Otherwise, when I
would get a "no" (and send them back to correct their omission)
someone doing a physical check might get a "ughhh".  How have you seen
it done?

> Myself, when authorizing someone I know, I take twice as long, I
give them a
> hard time since I expect more out of them, but its really more out
of fun
> the necessity. Again just as here, it all came down to make sure the
person
> is safe and comfortable with the weapons they will be playing with.
My
> personal rules were you go out to have fun, die well, and if you
have the
> chance, try and kick some butt.

I try not to authorize someone I completely know nothing of.  I will
find out who they are working with and discuss the authorizing fighter
with their teachers prior to getting into the authorization.  If I
find out they haven't done any work previously, I just work with them
after telling them they won't authorize that day.

> In Service,
> Lord Jhone Mc V'llvure (but you can call me Eoin)

Don Stephen Hawkins
Northern Regional Rapier Marshal
Ansteorra