[Ansteorra-rapier] Advisory Roll

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Sun Jul 15 19:38:09 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <waylon2001 at aol.com>
To: <ansteorra-rapier at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 12:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra-rapier] Advisory Roll

>One suggestion I have would be
> to hold an open meeting before the circles and simply ask our
opinions.

That sounds like a very simple thing to do.  However, our circles are
often crammed into an event and run longer than everyone would like,
yet aren't long enough to really get everything done.  Adding another
circle, composed of even double the number of people (which is a
conservative guesstimate), beforehand, would probably drive everything
so late that we might not get dinner, might not get sleep.

In place of having an open circle prior to our closed circle, I would
suggest you simply let a WS know your opinion at your convenience.  My
thought only and it carries no official weight, but you might try it
and see what you think.

> As
> far as how much influence the opinions should carry is another
situation that
> should vary from issue to issue. One example is who gets made a WS
that is
> something that should be decided on how well that person fits the
role and
> not how long they have been playing or how many tourneys they have
won.

You'll find there are many separate opinions on what makes a WS.  I
think everyone considers "prowess" and "experience", just how much
probably varies.  How do you completely separate the idea of "prowess"
from the idea of "winning"?  How do you separate "experience",
"judgement", and "knowledge" from "how long someone has played"?  How
do you separate "dedication" from "travel"?  There are lots of hard
questions out there and I don't know how to answer them either.

>My
> feelings are that if the general populace decided that, it could
turn into a
> popularity contest instead of the true and noble position that it
was created
> for. That is my two cents worth.
>

> Lord Eithin Mor

Just my thoughts,