[Ansteorra-rapier] Advisory Roll

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sun Jul 15 21:56:47 PDT 2001

First, I would like to thank those who have already replied and say it
is good to know that you guys are interested in this.

I was going to hold onto my thoughts and give people a while to
consider these things but I think I should add my 2 cents now.

> >One suggestion I have would be
> > to hold an open meeting before the circles and simply ask our
> opinions.
>
> That sounds like a very simple thing to do.  However, our circles are
> often crammed into an event and run longer than everyone would like,
> yet aren't long enough to really get everything done.

While both are true, I think there may be some ways to work around
this. Yes, it would be nice if we WSAs could stretch ourselves further
and make it to all the groups for visits with more groups than WS and
probably 10 times the number of fencers as active WS, and that fact
that when you talk about candidates you probably want your
conversation to be private, and the logistics become unmanageable.

Which does not mean we should not find a way to meet with most of you
but it does mean it would have to be a two way street.

Here are some ideas. They are just my ideas, not proposals from the
circle or the Crown.

One possibility is that you could pick a WS who you think best
represents your interests, ask them for their e-mail address and then
send them your views from time to time or when you know there is a
circle coming up. With luck this could also get some 2 way
conversations going.

If you live close to a WS -- like the Temple guy is close to us here
in Bryn Gwlad -- maybe you could find out when the WS will be at
Fighter Practice or otherwise accessible and make arrangements to meet
with them.

I'm sure there are some group meeting options (like local or regional
open circles?) that would be appropriate for issue discussion though
probably not for discussing specific candidates.

If you don't like any of these ideas, feel free to suggest something
else. I don't have all the answers but I am looking for them. :-)

I will also point out that on the selection of candidates, because we
meet as a group and share information from all over the kingdom the
WSA are indeed likely to know thing about most candidates (except
perhaps for your locals) that most of you do not know. We may need to
let that influence our recommendations (remember, the Crown still
makes the decisions). However, I expect that if a person is elevated
to the WSA and the community as a whole does not accept them, they
will have a very hard time doing a decent job. Thus it seldom makes
sense to recommend someone who the rest of the community rejects.
Sometimes the answer may be to know your opinions. Sometimes the
answer may be to share some of the information we have with you
(provided it is not private).

Dore