[Ansteorra-rapier] Cadet Banners History 101

RJ Allen chrystalamacruari at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 22:07:52 PST 2002

Greetings to the list... Short History of the Kingdom Banners 101

Hopefully this will offer a perspective as to why whenever I talk
about, ask about the Kingdom Banners, I may sound a little possesive,
overly concerned... yeh, it's like taking care of a form of "child". My
only disclaimer is that I am remembering this as I type. My perspective
only. Yadeda, Yadeda, Yadeda...

Robert (then known as Horoun- cadet to Don Durmast), had an idea that
it would be really nifty to have banner/flags to go to Pennsic that
were larger than the ones they were using at the time. At the time,
Ansteorra's banners were very small, so small it was almost
embarrassing, ya get the picture. Also, to display them on banner poles
used in parades using harnesses (which were uncomfortable, but you were
glad you wore them when the wind picked up, it was fun!!)

With assistance & guidance from Gwynn the Lizard Keeper & Katerina
Arentino, they showed the rest of us (I was not a cadet at this point
in time) how to design, cut, sew from start to finish. The project was
funded from the majority (unfortunately not all) of the people who were
cadets at that point in time.

The people that actually designed & helped construct the banners were:
Cadets: Robert (Horoun), Zorcon, Henri, Andre
Non-Cadets: Gwynn, Kat, Jalali, Martin & myself...
(Am I leaving anyone out Robert? Kinda feels like I am... but who?)

The Cadets presented the banners at... hmmm, I believe it was a Bryn
Gwlad event, to Patrick & Julia (#?) who were on the thrones at that
time. The wind was blowing something fierce during that early evening
court. The effect was beautiful, it even made Patrick Michael
bleary-eyed, outright cried in public, along with the rest of us!

The condition made between that current Crown & Cadets was that the
banners up keep, maintenance, travel, keeping them all together, etc.
were the sole responsibility of ALL OF THE CADETS ONLY!!!! It gave them
something to do, to be resposibile for something, a job for lack of a
better term, because they (as a group) were like youngsters starting to
get bored & leaning towards getting into "trouble" (pranks +
overboard). It was also to be that the Crown (from that point forward)
were not to haul the banners, poles & harnesses, the Cadets were to
organize that part of the deal to make sure they were at any events
that the Crown was at.  At last count, there have been 3 different sets
of poles (one set was chain link top rail fencing pipe trimmed to 7-8
feet- one had to use the harnesses then); may of had 2 sets of 2
harnesses.

There was also a time that the holding of the banners in court
responsibility was shared with the Squire's to help show cross-support
for each fighting community. The Squire's would sometimes hold the
Queen's Banner & the Cadets would hold the King's or vice-versa.
Depending on who you talk to, it didn't go over-all very well with the
Rapier Community... (too many damn politics if you ask me) Anyway, I
digress...

The tradition was started back around, hmmm, don't have my references
in front of me currently, but I'd say around 1992-1993? +/-

Where are the banners, poles & harnessess these days? Just overly
curious... as a whole

Should the banners tradition continue? Yes, I think it should & at some
point, they may need to be replaced due to wear & tear... who would
consider taking on that project? The cadets? Some other group? Food for
thought for the future.

Hope this helps, thank you for your time,
In Service,
Chrystal Ariana MacRuari
Cadet to Don Aubrey & Don Zorcon

=====