[Ansteorra-rapier] Cadet Banners, Princess' Blade

Elisabeth B. Zakes ezakes at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 04:15:59 PST 2002

I think many of the current cadets are not aware that the honour of bearing
the banners or of carrying the Princess' sword can be theirs. I remember
hearing one conversation between two cadets, where one asked the other "Are
you going to help with the banners tonight?" and receiving "Uhh,,, what?" in
reply. He just didn't know.

Many years ago, the cadets did things together because they were mostly of
an age (in their 20s) and a lot of them were single. Now many cadets are in
their 30s (and 40s) and many have families. They do things with their Dons
and with their families. The energy one saw many years ago was, in part, due
to youthful exuberance. Now I'm seeing cadets who run tournaments, steward
events, herald on the field... I think I'd rather see that sort of
responsibility than "cadet pranks."

Cadets, if you think things aren't happening the way you think they should,
try to find out -- not only why, but who. Dons, those of you who have
cadets, can talk to your cadets and get their personal perspective on the
whole thing.

I know there are e-mail lists for the cadets and for the WS. I'm pretty sure
the cadets talk on the list. I'm *positive* the Dons do! :)

This is just my personal opinion and observation.

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad

Hello again to the list...yes, this message is indeed intended for the whole
list...

I think Hawkins reminded me of some good points. Until the recent
Hullaballoo, I didn't know that the cadets were responsible for the Princess
or that there was a Princess' blade. I think it wonderful that cadets are
given such a responsibility.

[...]

Gabriela