[Ansteorra-rapier] Fwd: Old stories

Potterkd2@cs.com Potterkd2 at cs.com
Wed Jan 23 09:16:24 PST 2002

--
Hi all,

Here is another discussion that sparked an "old story" re Queen's Blade of
Honor - please note below my post is the "correct" beginnings of the story.
Her Grace did get some grief over it though.

Kayleigh said:
It came out of the brain of Don Eula.  Her Grace Mikala II (sp?) got much
crap for it that most thought it would die.  That she wanted Eula to stand
behind her in court when that was not his intent -- that was her champions
responsibility.  That Don Timothy and HL Theresa where the ones who made it.

The correct story:

 To which Eule offers:
 Thanks for the compliment but actually, the concept for the Queen's Blade of
 Honour was all Mikala's idea.  For some reason, however, she did call me up
 one night and ask my opinion about the idea (I had not heard of it at this
 point).

 She told me that Timothy and Theresa had constructed a wonderful rapier that
 she would like to give to the individual who exhibited the highest degree of
 honour on the field at her Queen's Champion.  I told her about a similar
 honour granted to Maelgwen Dda at Arrowen's second Queen's Champion (it was
 a main gauche made by Don Eldric de Charbonneau and was a one time
 acknowledgement), suggested that she establish it as a continuing honour and
 that the Queen should look for more than just what happens at Queen's
 Champion....it should be a reflection of a persons' long term efforts.  I
 suggested a handful of individuals that she might consider.  Little did I
 know what I was setting myself up for!

 During evening Court, I was stunned when I was called up.  I thought I had
 done a pretty good job of convincing her who should be the first
 recipient...evidently, I hadn't. ;-)  She did ask me to stand behind her
 that evening.  It was the next event that she insisted that I stand behind
 her again during Court.  Although pleased to be asked, I explained that that
 should be the sole honour of her Queen's Champion.  This "tradition" stuck
 but, actually, it is something that I've never really felt comfortable with.

 I've always viewed this honour as being best displayed in deeds and actions,
 not by having the opportunity to stand behind the Queen...besides, it's
 already pretty crowded up there! ;-)

 Eule/Steve
 btw, you have my permission to post this elsewhere.

> Did most of you know that it came out of the brain of Eula?  That Mikala
II
> (sp?) go SO much crap for it that most thought it would die?  That she
wanted
> Eula to stand behind her in court when that was not his intent -- that was
> her champions responsibility.  That Don Timothy and HL Theresa where the
ones
> who made it.
>
> ALSO: I was not the first Crown to try a guard.  Mikala tried only a
rapier
> one and it failed.

To which Eule offers:
Thanks for the compliment but actually, the concept for the Queen's Blade of
Honour was all Mikala's idea.  For some reason, however, she did call me up
one night and ask my opinion about the idea (I had not heard of it at this
point).

She told me that Timothy and Theresa had constructed a wonderful rapier that
she would like to give to the individual who exhibited the highest degree of
honour on the field at her Queen's Champion.  I told her about a similar
honour granted to Maelgwen Dda at Arrowen's second Queen's Champion (it was
a main gauche made by Don Eldric de Charbonneau and was a one time
acknowledgement), suggested that she establish it as a continuing honour and
that the Queen should look for more than just what happens at Queen's
Champion....it should be a reflection of a persons' long term efforts.  I
suggested a handful of individuals that she might consider.  Little did I
know what I was setting myself up for!

During evening Court, I was stunned when I was called up.  I thought I had
done a pretty good job of convincing her who should be the first
recipient...evidently, I hadn't. ;-)  She did ask me to stand behind her
that evening.  It was the next event that she insisted that I stand behind
her again during Court.  Although pleased to be asked, I explained that that
should be the sole honour of her Queen's Champion.  This "tradition" stuck
but, actually, it is something that I've never really felt comfortable with.

I've always viewed this honour as being best displayed in deeds and actions,
not by having the opportunity to stand behind the Queen...besides, it's
already pretty crowded up there! ;-)

Eule/Steve
btw, you have my permission to post this elsewhere.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/LmiolB/TM