[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

Garnet Stevens scooterjester at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 18:26:50 PDT 2007

Greetings again to the list,

Sorry that I am referring to another kingdoms rules
again.  But, I have been here in Ansteorra for just
under a year now, where I have been in Atenveldt for
over 10 years also as part of the marshalette their
and I am considered a source for any questions of
safety and blade construction with heavy rapier
because of my experience as a hilter with Scottie
Armoury for 4 yrs. in the past and a sales rep for
James the Just presently.

In the other kingdom a chainmail gauntlet is not
listed in anyway in the rules.  That being said, it
falls under the following rule in Atenveldt:

4. Optional Rules for Alternate Weapons:

a. Only like blades versus like blades (schlager vs.
schlager, epee vs. epee, fiberglass vs. fiberglass,
and foil vs. foil). There shall be no schlager vs.
epee or foil.

Any documentable (period style w/examples)
weapons/parrying objects that a rapier fighter wishes
to use must be passed on a per item basis by the
territorial Marshal of the area in which the rapier
fighter lives, or the Kingdom Marshal of Fence. The
rapier fighter should provide the documentation for an
unusual item to the Marshal prior to its construction
so the rapier fighter does not spend time and money on
something that may not be allowed.

Under this rule and marshalette agreement a chainmail
gauntlet covered hand may only be disabled by a thrust
to the hand.

Personally I have never been part of or heard of an
unsafe issue with using a chainmail gauntlet in the
suggested realistic fashion since I have picked up a
blade.

Of course I will follow whatever rule this kingdom
decides on, but I feel that an unrealistic rule is
exactly that.  I rather not see chainmail banned or
not used in a realistic way, not only since I do have
one, but the more period devices we can use, the more
spice we bring to the art.  Otherwise, we could all
become strip fencers and be burdened with to many
rules that are not of a safety standard.

In Service,

Lord Sebastiana