[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Fri Oct 12 15:07:06 PDT 2007

Let me see if I can clear up a couple of things.

First a few more bits on the rules:

   1. "Armor as worn" does not negate hand damage on a grab. There is no
      exception to that rule. So no, we cannot game our way around it.
   2. The use of mail gauntlets is always optional. You and your
      opponent must always agree on ALL weapons so if you object to
      gauntlets, tell your opponent.

Second, It is my job to decide what our rapier rules mean. That does not
mean I get to make them mean whatever I want them to mean , nor does it
mean taking a poll and going with whatever people think would be the
most fun. If it were up to me we would have reduced armor standards,
buckler punches and no restrictions on mixing blades. However, I know
that is not what the rules say and not what was intended.

I have asked the Deputy Society Marshal for Rapier (DSMR) for his
interpretation of this. I have also asked the other KRMs for their
advice. I am interested in what the KRMs have to say, but the real
question here is whether the DSMR believes that the armored as worn
rules can override the hand damage rule on blade grabbing. If not than I
do not have the option of changing this.

Finally, even if I have the ok from the DSMR, I am not convinced there
is a safe and playable answer to my primary concern with this rule: the
having your blade grabbed equal a fatal blow I must consider:
What ways are fighters likely to react to having their blades grabbed by
and uncuttable hand, and are any of those a problem?
If a fighter manages to grab his opponent's blade as Robin suggests --
what then?
Are there any safe, effective, legal responses to having your blade
grabbed by someone who's hand cannot be cut?

If you think this should change then please help me address those questions.

Christian Doré, KRM