[Ansteorra-rapier] Opinions on mail gauntlet?

Cathal SilAlmhain silalmhain at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 15:45:59 PDT 2007

Wow that was quite an active two-three days of
discussion.

First: I understand Dore's point about the rules as
written.  I would ask that the mailed gauntlet rule
not be removed, but be kept as is, and that continued
discussion along the lines of what has happened on
this list continue amongst those that set the rules so
that the rules can continue to be expanded and
contracted as necessary to accomodate both safety and
enjoyable period-play.

(yes, I am an attorney, and I afraid it showed in that
little--or not-so-little--sentence, sorry!)

which brings me to:

The changes I would like to see!

1. The mailed glove (with palm-mail) should not be
considered a "hand," but, rather, an "off-hand
parrying device."  This was suggested, at least in
passing, if not directly, by an earlier commentator.
A "hand-grab" of the weapon, once the weapon moves,
will disable the hand, but, an "off-hand parrying
devices temporary immobilization" of the weapon, once
the weapon begins to move, is the same as the weapon
sliding back and forth against any other off-hand
parrying device: no damage.
I understand that this is not the current meaning or
interpretation of the rules, I just hope that we can
work toward that end.

Addressing your question below, Dore:
Two opponents "wrestling" or "struggling" for control
of the blade will still result in a hold.  The only
difference will be if the mailed glove grabs the
opponent's weapon, the opponent's weapon can slide
back and forth in the mailed hand without calling a
valid blow or a hold.  But any safety issues can still
be addressed appropriately.
Now, any sliding back and forth in the hand may also
involve some degree of twisting of the blade.  The
more twisting, the greater the chance of danger to the
blade, and to the combatants.  The rules can be
specifically written to allow the marshall to call
hold at any time that that marshall feels safety
requires.
I feel that this rules adjustment actually promotes
both better period-play and greater safety.  If I grab
an opponent's blade under the current rules I have to
hold on for dear life: if that blade slips the
slightest bit, I lose my advantage and my hand.  With
the modified mailed-glove rule, as suggested in this
thread of posts, I don't have to take firm grasp of my
opponent's blade: in fact, I can just circle my
fingers around the blade and keep it well restricted,
without having to grapple for the blade at all.

Cloaks:
Second thing I want to see, we should be able to hurl
our cloaks wherever the heck we want to.  It's a piece
of cloth.  Therefore, I think we should work toward an
understanding of the rules wherein a cloak can be
thrown on an opponent's weapon--or on an opponent's
head, if we so choose.
Further, we should be able to entangle our opponent's
weapon with our cloak (if we can).  Granted:
entangling two weapons has potential hazards that
rightly lead to a hold being called; so, too, with
entangling a weapon in an opponent's clothing (primary
amongst which in likelihood is tearing the opponent's
armor, resulting armor armor failure).  However, there
is no realistic harm (and by this I mean both degree
of danger and likelihood of danger) in entangling your
opponent's weapon with your cloak.  There are many on
this list and elsewhere who ahve a far greater
understanding of period texts and tactics than I, but
isn't entanglement of your opponent's weapon a primary
aim of cloak period-play?

I also agree with you on the reduced armor standards,
but that is for another day.

Thanks everyone for this great discussion, and I look
forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cathal SilAlmhain
cadet to Don Charles le Cervoisier D'Alsace
            (aka Don Zorcon)