[Ansteorra-rapier] Loaner heavy rapier equipment

Jesus Cavazos toshirokoi at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:43:28 PST 2008

Forgot to suggest, find out if we can get just the blades and their price. Some of us know metal workers.

HL Toshiro KoiBonwicke

"

From: kevwilson at swbell.netTo: Ansteorran_Marshals at yahoogroups.com; ansteorra-rapier at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:03:29 -0600Subject: [Ansteorra-rapier] Loaner heavy rapier equipment

This post is mainly for local/warranted rapier marshals, but I'd like anyone's constructive input.

In reading all the hoopla going on on the main Ansteorra list, something someone mentioned about the costs of new fighters triggered a thought.  Allessandro mentioned that he has talked to Scott Wilson of Darkwood Armory about the possibility of getting a cost reduction on some of his practice rapiers if ordered in bulk.  I don't have any specifics, and will follow this up with an email to him asking about it.  My guess is that it would be for some of his Economy hilt setups.

As Stargate Rapier Marshal, something that I've noticed is how few groups have any heavy rapier setups in their loaner gear.  When I took over the position, I got 3 epees and a foil.  But more and more, heavy rapier is becoming more accepted, used, and preferred.  With all Gulf War battles and tournaments being fought with heavy blade now, everyone has more incentive to use them more often.  Yet when a new fighter shows up and shows interest, we give them an epee to have them start with, saying "you'll get to use the big blades later".  This bothers me.  I've seen more than one person get discouraged from this.

There has long been an assumption or feeling that epees and foils are safer than heavy weapons and thus are better to start new fighters with.  However, there are numerous SCA groups in other Kingdoms (and likely some here), and non-SCA WMA groups that don't feel that way.  They train their fighters to use the tools they are going to use from the beginning, and train them well and properly, and there are few injuries, even for those that do far more potentially "violent' studies than we do (cut & thrust without tips or less armor, longsword, quarterstaff, etc.).  Simply put, I think it would help new fighters, teachers, and the rapier community as a whole, if we were to start training people from the beginning with heavy rapier if that is what they are interested in.

Let me one thing clear:  I am NOT saying or implying in any way to do away with light rapier/epee&foil/smallsword.  For some, it is just their preferred game.  For others, there may be physical reasons that they cannot fight with heavy rapier, but want to still be able to participate.  And, as our rules currently stand, minors who have graduated from the youth rapier program are using epees only (see above paragraph for my thoughts on that, but no mind).  So please, don't anyone come from this thinking I want Ansteorra to be heavy-rapier only.

So, for the local marshals, I have the following questions:

Do you have any heavy rapier fighting gear (sword and/or gorget) in your local groups' equipment?

If not, are you willing to talk with your group's seneschal and treasurer about the possibility of buying the equipment?

Would you be interested in joining a bulk order with Darkwood to get equipment for your group?

Also, for everyone else:

I don't know if he is going to have a minimum or maximum number of swords that can be ordered at once.  Provided that spaces are available, would anyone be interested in joining in on the order, just to have a (possibly another) blade to use or loan out? (Aeron, of course, is excluded, as he has too many toys already and no time to play with them anyway. Just  kidding....sheesh....)

As I said, I'll contact Scott ASAP and ask him for more details on price, quantity choice of hilts & blades, time of delivery, etc.

I'll post here again as soon as I have some concrete info from Scott.

Thanks everyone.

Ld. Corvin di Fenarro
Stargate Rapier Marshal
Kingdom A&S Historical Martial Arts Research Deputy