[Ansteorra-rapier] Proposed revision to rapier rules

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 15:06:11 PDT 2012

At 10:05 AM 10/11/2012, you wrote:

>Long thread and possibly I missed the discussion about the relation
>between our armor requirements and epees. I hold no malice towards
>epees although mine has become a pell in the last few years. I do
>hold malice towards the puncture resistant amor we wear.
>
>Would restricting our weapons to heavy rapier move us closer to
>dispensing with puncture resistant armor?
>
>HE Orlando

It would be a singularly bad idea. There's a fair bit of evidence
that an untipped heavy blade has penetration characteristics similar
to a flat-broken foil or epee. Our current armor standard can pretty
well be relied on to stop either blade type, but once you start
removing layers, the chance of a dangerous penetration injury
increases significantly.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990302032547/www.iceweasel.org/ek_schlager_test.html
http://moondragon.info/wiki/Schlager_Penetration_Tests
http://moondragon.info/wiki/Testing_lighter_armor