[Ansteorra-rapier] A question about how we "Weight" fighters

Jhan Knebel rixende at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:01:07 PDT 2012

Historically in Rapier, I have regularly seen weighted tournaments weighted
in the same or similar ways that they are being weighted at Bryn Gwlad this
weekend.

For Reference:

5 – Royal family or current/former Queen’s champions
4 – White scarf or equiv or Chivalry
3 – Cadets or Centurions
2 – Anyone with a combat award
1 – All others

My question is this:

I am curious as to what people think of continuing to use Cadet as a
determining factor, when it has no definition associated with skill level.
We do have awards based on skill and merit that allow us to reflect 5
levels of fighters. Granted, it does not mirror a 1 to 1 ratio for heavy
fighters, but does it have to?
 5 – Current/former Queen’s champions
4 – White scarf or equiv
3 – Sable Talon for Rapier
2 – Queen's Rapier
1 – All others

I can see valid points for and against it, and just wanted to see what
other people think.

PLEASE NOTE: I have NO problems with the format of the tournament for this
Bryn Gwlad Baronial. Many events use this or a similar formula, it was just
this publication that brought these thought back to the front of my mind.
I've been kicking them around since the creating of the Optio, which became
the Talon.

In Service,

Rixende
--