[Ansteorra-rapier] A question about how we "Weight" fighters

Kevin Wilson kevwilson at swbell.net
Wed Sep 26 19:12:09 PDT 2012

Interesting viewpoint, and I can't say I disagree.  It would be interesting
to see how that would change things, where people would get ranked
differently. Maybe try it at a big practice or for a fun tourney?

Another possible way of weighting that could be considered is based purely
on skill and experience. It is more subjective, however, so naturally there
would be some that would not be happy with it. But then, awards can be
viewed subjectively as well.

Green:  new fighters, those just starting rapier, or those who do not have
an understanding of swordplay. Generally are not much of a threat to those
in the other categories.

Yellow: fighters with some experience and skill, and will sometimes be a
threat to those in 'higher' categories.

Red: fighters with enough experience and skill that they are a threat to
pretty much anyone most of the time.

Black: the elite. Those who can win pretty much any fight or tourney they
put their decide to.

Note that no awards or titles are used. I find that the reality is, some
have more or less skill than the awards or titles they hold show. Not all
White Scarves are Elite. Some cadets and non-scarves have come up the ranks
and been in the 'red' category, or even Elite before they were made part of
the order.  Being a cadet, or getting a Sable Talon, or QR, doesn't bump you
up a category. Improving does.

Also - I started using "White" for the Elite, but changed my mind. First,
some will automatically assume that it means all White Scarves are part of
it, which is not the case, and second, I find black seems to have more of a
sense of..finality..to it. J

Don Corvin Fenarro