[Ansteorra-rapier] A question about how we "Weight" fighters

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:04:01 PDT 2012

At 05:01 PM 9/26/2012, you wrote:
>Historically in Rapier, I have regularly seen
>weighted tournaments weighted in the same or
>similar ways that they are being weighted at Bryn Gwlad this weekend.
>
>For Reference:
>
>5 – Royal family or current/former Queen’s champions
>4 – White scarf or equiv or Chivalry
>3 – Cadets or Centurions
>2 – Anyone with a combat award
>1 – All others
>
>My question is this:
>
>I am curious as to what people think of
>continuing to use Cadet as a determining factor,
>when it has no definition associated with skill level.
>We do have awards based on skill and merit that
>allow us to reflect 5 levels of fighters.
>Granted, it does not mirror a 1 to 1 ratio for
>heavy fighters, but does it have to?
>5 – Current/former Queen’s champions
>4 – White scarf or equiv
>3 – Sable Talon for Rapier
>2 – Queen's Rapier
>1 – All others
>
>I can see valid points for and against it, and
>just wanted to see what other people think.
>
>PLEASE NOTE: I have NO problems with the format
>of the tournament for this Bryn Gwlad Baronial.
>Many events use this or a similar formula, it
>was just this publication that brought these
>thought back to the front of my mind. I've been
>kicking them around since the creating of the Optio, which became the Talon.
>
>In Service,
>
>Rixende

I actively dislike such weighting. Here's why:

Typically the points are given based on SCA
rank--Joe Newbie might be worth one point, Cadet
Buttonbutcher might be worth three, Lord Soandso
might be worth two, etc. A White Scarf would get
a pretty high number, so would a peer or a noble.
I'm all of those, which makes me target #1 for
all the up-and-coming hotshots. If I kill them, I
get a couple of points. If they kill me, they get five or ten points.

Unless I defeat four or five times as many
low-level opponents as most other people face, or
make a point of challenging high-ranking
opponents *and* beat all of them, there's no way I can win such a tourney.

         -Tivar Moondragon