Bards - Stage Fright

kyleena of the rom kyleena_of_the_rom at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:39:04 PST 2000

Greetings scared sister,
   Stagefright can certainly be debilitating, so I have found that if I
memorize first and last line to any tale that I tell, I can always enter and
exit gracefully.
   Also, if applicable, enter loudly.  No, no,I don't mean for you to fall
over the tree stump and into the drum section by the fireside, but rather,
enter with much energy. Use your fear to project and to get the attention of
your audience. This coupled with that preplanned and memorized first line
will immediately thrust you across that fearsom threshold. (Note here too,
that you can often speak more commandingly by speaking slowly with the loud
voice at your enterance. This gives you a little more time to gather
yourself together and the audience has time to focus.....)
   In choir, I have been told to look a foot over the heads of the audience.
It gives the appearance of look straight at them.  I personally, prefer to
find a few friendly or responsive people inthe  audience and guage my
performances by their reactions.
   Props can sometimes be handy.  I have entered with my
tambourine-drumrolling away. That gets me to centerstage and then the
momentum is set.
   I have entered blurting out some nonsensical discussion, and then acted
like the audience was a chance meeting.  This kind of thing puts you on a
one-to-one basis with the audience and allows you a personal touch/feeling.
   And involving the audience by asking them questions can help to calm you
down and rile them up.  Yes or no questions like "What do you want, love
song or war story?" If everybody says war story and all you have is a love
song, bat your eyes at them and say that a beautful lady over there
requested it...OK??? Play with your audienc, enjoy them and they
recipricate.  Though there may be some mean spirited individuals out there,
you will find that there are probably no more forgiving audiences to be
found anywhere else.
   I hope this helps some, it is how I handle things....now if only I had a
better memory....
                               Until me meet again,
                               L. Kyleena of the Rom