Bards - Gypsies

kyleena of the rom kyleena_of_the_rom at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:42:17 PST 2000

Greetings Willow/Zaphira?, from Kyleena,

   My mother, and I (and maybe Aziza) will be in Friday around 2is for the
Springfaire. We can probably help as much as you need after we get mom's
tent set up. Tell me more about the horse trading, what are the rules for
sale? Is the money made to be contributed to anything or are profits our
own? Are we constructing horses on site, or bringing them? Since I will not
be merchanting at this event, I offer my services in any horse trading that
you need done.....
  I will be posting some addresses and infomation on the list in a few
minutes for Rom info and characteristics. Just off hand, I can tell you that
they are actually a very generous and giving people. At celebrations, they
impoverish themselves to lavish wealth on others.  They band together as a
family would. They have strict laws of cleanliness (the laws of Marime).
They tend to be superstitious. They are passionate and believe that music
and dance are the purist form of expression.
   They value and respect age and wisdom above youth and strength. Among
themselves they have many sad songs to sing, before outsiders they perform
whatever is popular or to the taste of their audience. They are the reason
that many folktales and songs were perpetuated instead of lost because they
kept them alive as they travelled and used them.
   Their actual stories do not always work on modern audiences, so I have
found that the use of "Time Speak" is more applicable in story telling. Time
Speak is a Rom characteristic. Since time passes different when you live
everywhere and nowhere, it easily runs together. I have read an account
involving an incident with a Scottish king that was a documentably true
story from a couple of hundred years ago, but was told as if it happened
yesterday. Therefore, as I find incedents in history that potray Rom ways, I
tend to turn them into stories--works for me.
   Know too that in Rom story telling, MORE is better than less. Most things
tend to be much,much bigger than life. And the art of the telling of a tale
is relished even more than the tale. The teller will play the audience like
a fine instrument. They can make you cry one minute and laugh the next.
   I've been going through some of my older research today to find all the
names for you, I'll find them soon. In fact, I have a whole list of men's
names, but I think you were looking for womens names...
Anyway, I found some more pictures of period costumes,and some references
that talk about how they costume themselves by "Hanging their bodies like
Morris-dancers, with bels and other toyes, to intice the coutrey people to
flocke about them,and to wonder at their fooleries, or rather rancke
knaueryes.The women as rediculously attire themselves...".
   In attitude, they are standoffish.They frequently camped at the outskirts
of towns because they believed outsiders to be unclean. "Rom" means man, and
they believe themselves to be the only ones. They are a proud race, and
remember that there are numerous accounts of Rom chieftains and Vovoides and
Dukes who partied as equals in Europes courts. They LIKE to have titles, and
use them with great relish.
   Some sources also say that they are great believers in Fate. If nothing
that you do can change the outcome of your life, then perhaps all there is
left is to live and enjoy it....
   This is getting longer than I intended, and I don't want to be thrown off
this line, so perhaps we'll call it a day for now. So I'll leave it rest for
now and catch you later-with more.
                    Sincerely, your Gypsy in Camelot,
                       Kyleena of the Rom